Monday, April 28, 2008

Wanted: Media-Friendly Trade Association

To an associate editor of a leading risk management publication, RIMS is the biggest event of the year. The staff of our magazine plans for it months in advance, and this year we planned our biggest undertaking yet--the blog you read here. To perform our jobs effectively, we need the co-operation of the conference staff. We need to be able to access the Internet, access conference events and access conference materials.

My dealings with RIMS so far this year have been a challenge. It all started with a three-page list of "Press Regulations at RIMS 2008 Annual Conference & Exhibition," which we received via e-mail less than two weeks before the start of the show. We were notified that press were allowed in all sessions except ones noted as RIMS member sessions, industry risk manager sessions or any others listed as closed to the press in the conference guide.

This means that us in the media were prohibited from attending arguably the most interesting pieces of this conference. Many risk managers I've talked to attend only their industry-specific sessions. That's where they dish about all the most important and relevant issues going on in their industries.

In addition, press are prohibited from exclusive off-site events touring SeaWorld and PETCO Park. I would have really liked to attend those events, learning all the ins and outs of the risk management programs of these facilities. If anyone reading this happens to be one of the elite few who attended, please do me a favor and fill me in. My e-mail address is egazica@lrp.com.

Other frustrating issues with this conference include not being given a bag at reception. Seriously, I was denied a bag containing plenty of pertinent information about this event. Go figure. I was also denied by the guard dogs at the exhibit hall doors.

"We open at 10," they growled to me at 9:45. And by the time I was ready to post my first blog post, the RIMS Press Room was closed. Not only are the room hours extremely limited this year (only open from 10 to noon and 2 to 5:30 today), but when my long wait was finally over and the room opened up, there were only a couple outlets to plug in my laptop. I hope I can post this blog before the battery on my computer dies!

I've heard from associates who have been in the business longer than I have that the restrictions to the press have increased at RIMS in recent years. It truly is a shame. It makes it difficult to do our job, which is to provide you, the reader, with information. I know risk managers can be private individuals, reluctant to let the outside world into the inner workings of their jobs. But being media-friendly is good for your reputation, RIMS. Being un-media-friendly is not.

No comments: